To transfer two or not to transfer two?
It is a common situation that evolves regularly in the work of our Agency, but for the past several weeks it was raised three times in a row by three different couples of ours (from USA, Portugal and Poland). So I decided it is worth a post :)
All three couples started their second surrogacy programs with us about one year after having their first kids with the help of our surrogate mothers.
All three couples had one child as a result of their first programs.
And when it came closer to the embryos transfer in frames of their second programs, they tried to ask me to make a forecast: what happens if they transfer one or two embryos, how big is the probability of twins in case we transfer two and what are the chances of pregnancy if they decide to transfer only one embryo.
The most interesting thing is that after talking to all three couples I could sense the deep desire to have twins, but it was really suppressed by various factors: financial difficulties on raising three kids, concerns on the medical side of the twin pregnancy etc.
Each conversation lasted at least 40 minutes and as much as I gave my all to answer all questions and clarify all the doubts, I still cannot give any forecast, because it is always a God’s will after the embryos transfer, and no one can predict how the pregnancy will go.
Such conversations remind me of how important the job we are doing is and how careful and supportive we must always be to those who are seeking for our help.
In the end all three couples had to make their own decisions, based on their beliefs and hopes, anxiety and doubts. You can try and guess their choices. But no matter how each pregnancy will be developing, let’s wish them luck again and keep our fingers crossed for them.